Sunday 28 February 2010

My journeys to Thailand, how it all began...

Hi, and welcome to my blog.
This is a work in progress so please come back often and see what changes have been made.

I've started this blog to share with everyone my adventures in Thailand which began in May 2009 (or 2552 if you use the Buddhist calendar).

Now, I'm not someone who believes in 'fate' or 'magic' or anything like that but how I came to visit Thailand for the first time has some syncronicity about it if you will. The story may be a little long-winded but I think it's an important part of the tale so please, bear with me.








There is a very good friend of mine named Rick


who I used to see almost every weekend in various locations around London and the South-East of England where very good DJ's would play very good Tech House or Deep House music.


We had, as is often the way with these things, lost touch.
Whilst making a rare excursion into the London nightlife, a completely unplanned visit to Fabric in Farringdon lead to a chance meeting with another friend who promised to pass my number on to Rick.
After about a week or so Rick got in touch and we arranged to meet up.
It was then that Rick said he was planning to go to Thailand in a few months time and suggested I come with him.

To be honest, I had never really fancied the idea. I had images of beaches full of backpackers jumping about to nose-bleed trance whilst hippies swung things around their heads after setting fire to them. Which is not even on my list of things to join in with!
He persisted and the idea began to take root a little.
I was now single, a long-term relationship with someone I still care very much about had kind of withered on the vine over the previous year or so, recently categorising itself as 'definitely over'.

I have travelled before, most of Western Europe, France, Spain, Germany, Italy etc. New York, New Zealand, St Lucia but never anywhere radically different, culturally speaking, from where I grew up.

I began to do some research and find out as much as I could about Thailand and the more I looked the more I liked the idea.

As I'm sure you know, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of websites you can find that will tell you all about Thailand and everything that goes on there so i won't go into all that but I will recommend www.thaivisa.com

Anyway, long rambling story cut slightly shorter, I decided to re-connect with my more adventurous self and broaden my horizons, so it was off to Thailand! Four days in Bangkok and ten in Koh Samui. Rick, being self-unemployed as he phrases it (he, in-fact, works regularly and, strangely enough, even harder now he's sampled The Land of Smiles!) could stay for an extra week or so. But for me, two weeks was all I had.

Did you get the syncronicity bit? If you have the stamina to read on and on you'll get to the part where someone asks me.. 'how did this happen?' 'how do people from opposite sides of the world end up meeting?'
It's the small things in life, when someone says to you 'let's go here' or 'let's do this' it's always a yes/no situation and multiple yes/no decisions lead each and every one of us into the situation we're in right now. It's so complex that people, in order to make sense of it, often attach a mystical or religious meaning to it.

I don't subscribe to any of that but this particular set of yes/no's ended up with me and someone else kneeling in front of statues of horses and elephants thousands of kilometers from where either of us thought we would be whilst people wished us good luck for the future so.... look out for those yes/no's..... they can change your life!

The first visit..., Bangkok and Koh Samui



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers